Purpose of the Trading Enterprise Department
- Provide Enhanced and Enabled Full Value Chains (upstream and downstream) for Agricultural Produce, Markets, Abattoir and Aquaculture.
- Provide technical advice and support to small scale farmers (agricultural related advice).
- Ensure implementation and achievement of Ntinga Strategic Goals in support of Ntinga CEO and the Board.
- Effective and Efficient Financial Management (budget and expenditure) of the Trading Enterprises through implementation of the MFMA.
- Establishment and management of strategic partnerships in all the trading enterprises.
Kei Fresh Produce Market
Kei Fresh Produce Market is situated in Vulindlela Heights, Southernwood, Mthatha, No. 32 Errol Spring Street, next to BT Ngebs Mall/ Mthatha Soccer stadium and is 2 km from Mthatha town. The Fresh Produce Market is one of 24 National Fresh Produce Commission Markets in South Africa. The market has approximately 4000 m2 trading floor space. The core business of the KFPM is to market and sell agricultural fresh produce (variety of edible fruits and vegetables) through accredited Agricultural Fresh Produce Market Agents to Retail Groups, Hawkers, Spaza shops, Tenderpreneurs, Government and public in general.
Trade takes place via a commission system with the Market charging the producer a mere 5% commission on all sales made on the commission floor. A further negotiable levy of 7,5% is paid to Market Agents for selling produce on behalf of the farmer. To safeguard and keep track records of farmers’ produce and sales on a daily basis, the entity use IT systems to be able to keep records and make daily payments to farmers for produce sold. As value-adding services, the Market has cold storage facilities to accommodate tons of fresh produce supply from farmers at any one time. Trading takes place from 06h00 till 13h00 during the week, and from 06h00 to 09h00 on Saturdays. Local farmers are encouraged to supply quality produce to the market to boost economic activity of the O.R. Tambo. The Market serves many local and international farmers from the African Continent. For more info, contact the Market Master at 047 495 0526/ 073 812 5379, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
O.R Tambo Farms
O.R Tambo Farms are situated in Swartberg in the Greater Kokstad Municipality, comprising of seven farms whose main function is to produce enough beef cattle for Umzikantu Red Meat Abattoir and other markets. 80% of the farm terrain is suitable for cattle ranching.
- Cattle are purchased, bred and fattened at two sites, namely, Adam Kok and Ikhwezi Farms for the supply of slaughter cattle for Umzikantu Abattoir.
- Nucleus breeding stock is kept at Adam Kok Farms for purposes of continuing farming, thereby adding value to the fattening programme.
- Steers from the breeding stock are sent to the market whilst heifers are kept for replacement and heifer exchange.
- On farm breeding of suitable breed for heifer exchange with subsistence and emerging farmers is gradually introduced, towards development of local farmers.
- The available arable land is utilised for production of beef cattle feed, such as winter pastures, hay bales and maize grain, cash crops for revenue enhancement.
- Umzikantu Abattoir is one of the high throughput abattoirs in the Eastern Cape Province located at Nyameni Road in Zimbane location under the jurisdictionary area of O.R. Tambo District Municipality (ORTDM). It is the only red meat abattoir that is operational in the ORTDM. It is certified and has the capacity to slaughter 50 units per day where one unity is equal to 1 cow/ox/bull, or 2 calves, or 6 sheep, or 4 porker pigs, or 2 bacon pigs, or 1 sausage pig. The abattoir is open to everyone and offers slaughter and cutting services to the public at an affordable fee. Health and hygiene standards are of high standards and the abattoir complies with the set standards. In 2017 Umzikantu Red Meat Abattoir was awarded by the Eastern Cape Department of Rural Development and Agrarian Reform as one of the best abattoirs in the High Throughput Red Meat Abattoir Category. The meat is purchased from the livestock producers and farmers. Umzikantu Abattoir sells high quality meat at very competitive prices to customers as General public, Supermarkets, Butcheries, Hospitals as well as Hostels. It opens at 7am till 4pm during business days. The abattoir operates on a first come first serve basis. For enquiries contact the Abattoir Manager: Mr. Xola Mapatwana on 076 948 0797 or 078 619 8563 during business hours.